These standard size votives out perform imported, drippy, fast burning, soot producing, petroleum-based, fragrance-infused candles. These long-burning, 100% pure beeswax votives may cost you a smidge more. But it's worth it no matter your viewing angle. They burn brighter, longer, and healthier than their paraffin counterparts. Plus, these are naturally aromatic, infused with the sweet, subtle scent of honey.
P.S. We believe they out perform other beeswax votives, too. Especially when you consider the company and the good they do.
- Naturally dripless, smokeless, and burns clean
- Burn brighter and longer than traditional paraffin candles
- Non-toxic, non-carcinogenic
- No petroleum, lead, or metal
- Helps purify your air (see below); great for those with allergies, asthma, and upper respiratory issues
- Wicks are 100% cotton and have been primed with beeswax (not paraffin)
- Supports sustainable beekeeping in the US
- Natural process using no chemicals and very little energy, filtered via natural clay process that cleans the wax of impurities, yet allows the wax to retain its inherent color and aroma
- Produced by hand in small batches in Seattle, Washington
WHAT DOES IT REPLACE?
Paraffin wax candles (those cheapo grocery store candles) — which are known to give off harmful fumes such as toluene and benzene, both linked to lung cancer and asthma. Paraffin is a by-product of petroleum, a non-renewable resource.Soy candles — without getting into too much here (we'll do a blog post soon), many a soy candle is not 100% soy. Say what? Yep, it only has to be 51% soy to be labeled soy. What's in the other half? Paraffin. More often than not, they are colored and scented with toxic dyes and fragrances. Best to go with scentless candles. Wait, there's more: The problem with soy is most of it is genetically modified to say nothing of the clear cutting that happens to grow soy. Think Amazon Rain Forest.
BORING (BUT USEFUL) STUFF
Remember, these votives come 'naked' which means for maximum burn time (5 hours) you'll need to put them in your tea light holder.
TIP: Use your votives to extend the life of other, more expensive and decorative candles like our Lotus Sphere, Holiday Ornaments, Leaf Pillar, and more.
Beeswax burns clean and purifies the air at the same time! In addition to supporting sustainable beekeeping, the consumption of beeswax candles is also good for the air we breathe. Unlike paraffin candles, which are made with a petroleum-based wax, beeswax candles have a completely clean non-toxic burn and produce negative ions when burning. About Negative Ions:
- These charged molecules are created when air molecules break apart because of sunlight, radiation, or the movement of air and water. The number of negative ions in an environment can vary greatly depending on the environment. For example, Yosemite Falls has approximately 100,000 negative ions per cubic centimeter as opposed to anywhere from a hundred to none in the average office or home.
- Negative ions relieve stress, boost energy and alertness levels, reduce the amount of dust mites and dander in the air, and they may help protect against airborne germs by attaching to positively charged ions that are holding other contaminants airborne.
- How do negative ions work? It is unknown exactly why negative ions affect the body in such a positive manner. Theories about how they work include:
- They cause a biochemical reaction that increases serotonin levels
- They increase the flow of oxygen to the brain
- They stimulate the pituitary gland, which regulates the endocrine glands including the adrenal and thyroid glands
All natural, biodegradable ingredients: These candles are made from locally sourced (Seattle, WA) 100% beeswax, which undergoes no chemical processing. Wicks are 100% cotton, primed with beeswax, not paraffin.
Small non-bleached kraft paper bag with sticker made from recycled paper. All recyclable.
Beeswax sourced locally in Washington for sustainably managed apiaries. All candles manufactured in Seattle, Washington, USA.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
From the beginning, Big Dipper has been committed to the well-being and satisfaction of our customers, beekeepers, and community. Big Dipper is a Green America Approved Business. Green America's thorough screening process, which takes into account the social and environmental practices of a business, offers third party verification of our commitment to the community and to the environment.
Big Dipper is committed to giving back to the community in a way that will ensure healthy ecosystems for years to come. Charitable efforts are focused on three main areas: Education, Research, and Sustainability.
Big Dipper is committed to supporting a vibrant community of customers, beekeepers, and bees. To that end, 5% of the net profits from all candle sales is donated to organizations dedicated to outreach, education, and sustainability efforts devoted to promoting sustainable beekeeping. Big Dipper also supports a variety of local groups including schools, sports organizations, animal shelters, and health research organizations.