- 100% Plastic-Free, Recyclable packaging
- Palm-Oil Free
- Synthetic Fragrance-Free
- 100% biodegradable and septic-safe
- Made Safe Certified
- Meliora donates 1% of every sale towards environmental causes (combined with What's Good's 1% donation, you do double good when you buy it!)
WHAT DOES IT REPLACE?
The Environmental Working Group's (EWG) put Comet in their Hall of Shame after air pollution tests found that Comet Disinfectant Cleanser Powder emitted 146 different chemicals, including some that have been linked to cancer, asthma and reproductive disorders. The most toxic chemicals detected—formaldehyde, benzene, chloroform and toluene—are not even listed on the label! And don't think AJAX is any better, this brand scored an 'F'. Don't take our word for it, check it out for yourself. While Meliora and our other scrub, Bon Ami, both earn A's from EWG.
Comet, it makes your mouth turn green.
Comet, it tastes like gasoline.
Comet, it makes you vomit, so buy some today.
It's only a silly song we used to sing as kids, but it speaks the truth.
BORING (BUT USEFUL) STUFF
Net Weight 12 oz.
Safe for Use on:
Stainless Steel, Ceramic/Porcelain, Tile, Stove Top
Avoid using on:
Natural/Sealed Stone or Non-Stick Cookware
No synthetic fragrances, dyes, optical brighteners, or preservatives, and every ingredient is listed on the front of every product.
Peppermint Tea Tree: Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda), Vegetable Soap [Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Organic Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Water], Organic Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Organic Melaleuca Alternafolia Leaf (Tea Tree) Oil
Unscented: Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda), Vegetable Soap [Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Organic Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Water]
- Sodium Bicarbonate: Also known as baking soda, sodium bicarbonate is an odor neutralizer and gentle abrasive.
- Vegetable Soap:
- Sodium Cocoate: This is the chemical name of saponified (that is, 'made into soap') coconut oil. It's the chemical that grabs onto both dirt and water to do the cleaning.
- Glycerin: This substance is chemically a type of alcohol and is naturally created when the oil is converted into soap. Glycerin is known for skin-softening abilities and is an effective solvent, meaning it can dissolve substances such as stains and dirts.
- Organic Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil: There is a small amount of coconut oil left in the soap after conversion to sodium cocoate. This is because we use sodium hydroxide, or lye, in the conversion process and leaving excess oil ensures there is no remaining lye in the finished product. Some soap makers refer to this as 'superfatting' and more oil remaining results in a softer, more moisturizing bar. Our coconut soap bars have only a small amount of excess oil, so they are not the luxurious body bar type and more of a 'get the job done' bar.
- Water: Water is used in the soap making process as a substance that dissolves lye and then is a medium so the lye can reach all of the oil to react. After being useful in this process, the water is allowed to evaporate from the soap over a period of several weeks, and the resulting dried bar has very little water. There is only about 5% water remaining in the finished bars, thus making them more shelf stable than a liquid soap that would require a preservative due to the high (about 60%) water.
Made in Chicago, Illinois USA using domestically sourced ingredients.
Plastic-free, fully recyclable paper and steel can.
Leaping Bunny Cruelty Free, MADE SAFE, BCorp, and gives to 1% for the Planet.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Kate and Mike are the proudly uncool and perpetually curious engineers who founded, own, and operate Meliora Cleaning Products. Meliora (meh-lee-OR-ah) is Latin for “better” and better is what Kate and Mike set out to do. Here's how they tell it:
Better isn’t just in our name; it is a reminder that every day we can improve on the status quo by offering cleaning products that are better for our customers and on the environment.
To have the most impact we choose to align with organizations that support what we believe and amplify our vision. Our B Corp Certification is a third-party evaluation and audit of our business practices; it highlights strengths in company ownership and governance (woman-owned), labor practices (living wages) and our product itself (low impact products and packaging). Through partnerships with 1% For the Planet and Women’s Voices for the Earth, we commit 2% of our annual revenues to environmental and charitable nonprofits. The MADE SAFE® seal signifies that our products and ingredients have been examined for whether they build up in the environment, our bodies, and aquatic toxicity. And Leaping Bunny is the highest standard for companies that are committed to using no animal testing. As we continue to grow, the foundations for our business must continue to meet our own expectations to be the very best company we can be.
We Make Everything In Our Own Factory in Chicago. Our factory on the West Side of Chicago does everything from making soap to packaging finished product. Everything we make, we make ourselves and we are proud that we have developed every detail of our process. Through understanding each cycle our product goes through we are able to examine the environmental impact each product creates, thus able to remove unnecessary waste along the way. It is important that our workers are paid a living wage, they are integral in making improvements and introducing new products.
Their big three rules guides each new product introduction:
- It WORKS to get your home and clothes clean
- PEOPLE-FRIENDLY, so it's ok to have around your home
- PLANET-FRIENDLY, so you can be confident that what goes down your drain won't cause any problems